Monday, October 17, 2011

Winchester, Virginia

Since I am on a bit of a travelling hiatus (boo!), I jumped at the chance to head out into the Virginia countryside with Erin and Sean (yeh!).  It was so nice to get out of the city and the weather could not have been more perfect.  Here is a recap of what we did:
Once we finally got through all the traffic, we visited a favorite spot, The Country Store.  I am sure this place has an actual name, but I never remember to look for it.  They have the best beer selection ever and we did not hesitate to stock up.


I even managed to steal some Abita Rootbeer away from Sean for me.  (Thank you, Sean, for sharing!)


Next up, we visited downtown Winchester for lunch.  Winchester seems really nice.  It feels like a good-size town with a cute pedistrian mall, even if it is only a couple of blocks long.  They even had a gas station/subway/dunkin donuts/baskin robbins store.  What more do you need?


Public Library

We then made it to High Hill Farms for pumpkins.



On the way out we stopped at Marker Miller Orchards for apples, cider, and, most importantly, donuts.  (Sidenote:  Their donuts were... good.  First, I am very picky about apple cider donuts since I grew up with the best ones just down the street.  Second, the Marker Miller donuts were more cake-like than the fall-apart-in-your-hand-and-melt-in-your-mouth kind.  This does not make them bad, they tasted great, just not what I am used to.)






We picked our own apples, which was super fun, but not as easy as I would have thought.  I think we were just a bit late to the picking.  There may have been some tree climbing.

Doesn't Erin look perfectly Fall?


Kyle...
running...
free.

This family had sooo many apples.  Seriously, between the five of them, they probably had six large bags!  Do apples freeze well?

Erin and Sean




We managed to stuff 12 apples in our small $6.00 bag.  I then managed to stuff 6 donuts into a smaller bag for $4.00.  It was a great day in the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment